Images included in WILFORD WOODRUFF'S WITNESS

Until the Endowment House was completed in 1855, temple ordinances were administered in Salt Lake City in the upper floor of the Territorial Council House.  The Council House was built in 1850-51 on the corner of Main Street and South Temple Street and over the course of 32 years housed government offices, the Deseret University n.k.a. the University of Utah, the Territorial Library, and the Deseret News among others.  It was destroyed in a fire on June 21, 1883.
Globe Bakery and Council House 1850s
Council House and Temple Block circa 1882
Council House after fire on June 21, 1883


Salt Lake City 1890s showing space where Council House used to be